Wednesday, April 29, 2009

wanted: rucksack

I love my Arcteryx Bora 50, but it's a little to technical for my Woolrich/Filson/army surplus look. It's also a bit much for an day hike. I have a 1950's musette bag I use for short afternoon hikes. I need (ok perhaps not need, deeply want) something sized between the two. I've been thinking about getting a rucksack, the two I've been eyeing are the smaller Swiss surplus rucksack or the Wander from Duluth. The Swiss sack would be cheaper and has real leather straps and a leather covered bottom, but it's almost impossible to find in the smaller size. The medium and large size both have an internal frame and hip belt, a bit much for what I'm looking for. The Duluth pack is available in a range of colours (I'm partial to navy, something different from my usual tan or olive drab) is made in the US and has a very long respected history. But then again look at the price, $165 bucks is a bit much when there are so many surplus packs to be had for 1/3rd the price, also a bit iffy on the leather patch with the moose on it (I'm a bit of a no logo kinda guy). Sigh... anyone else have any options?

Swiss Rucksack


Duluth Wanderer



3 comments:

  1. Hey Man,

    I highly recommend anything from Duluth. I have a few of their tool carries and parts bags and I know they will all outlast me. The price is def pretty up there but you are getting superior quality from a great company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find here the small:

    http://www.militaria-nagyaruhaz.hu/shop/index.php?func=osszestermek&category=151&lang=2&user=&pwd=

    god luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. damn i like that rucksack, good looks !!!

    ReplyDelete